The Junior Software Application Tester’s role is to plan, design, architect, and execute effective testing of in-house product development, software application development, and operations systems enhancements.
This individual will apply proven analytical and problem-solving skills to help validate, verify, communicate, and resolve software application issues through careful testing in order to maximize the benefit of the products being developed and ensure the accuracy of their outputs.
Strategy & Planning
- Ensure that testing activities will allow applications to meet business requirements and systems goals, fulfill end-user requirements, and identify and resolve systems issues.
- Collaborate with product owners, business analysts, designers, and developers in the testing of new software programs and applications.
- Ensure that any new software integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop testing strategies for improving or leveraging these systems.
- Take an active role in cross-departmental projects when needed.
Acquisition & Deployment
Contribute to pre-testing phase of project development by evaluating proposals in order to identify potential problem areas, and make the appropriate recommendations.
- Evaluate, plan, design, develop, and deploy testing techniques for new applications, products, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout their development/product lifecycles.
- Creation of test data, evaluation and analysis of results data and reports, and establishment of edge cases for testing.
- Create and execute test scripts, cases, and scenarios that will determine optimal system performance according to specifications.
- Conduct all types of application testing as needed, such as system, unit, regression, load, and acceptance testing methods.
- Analyze formal test results in order to discover and resolve defects, bugs, errors, configuration issues, and interoperability flaws.
- Analyze documentation and technical specifications of any new application under deployment or consideration to determine its intended functionality, and liaise with analysts and product owners as necessary to confirm these specifications and review acceptance criteria.
- Produce reports and documentation for all testing efforts, results, activities, data, logging, and tracking.
- Communicate test progress, test results, and other relevant information to project stakeholders and management.
- Develop, distribute, and coordinate in-depth end-user reviews for modified and new systems or applications.
- Cultivate and disseminate knowledge of application-testing best practices.
- Four-year college diploma or university degree in software engineering or computer science, or equivalent related work experience.
- Experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software testing solutions as asset.
- Strong knowledge of system testing and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies.
- Understanding of agile/scrum development practices mandatory.
- Fluency in programming languages such as Ruby on Rails an asset.
- Good project management skills and/or exposure to project-based work structures.
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.